Recipe by Mille®
Enjoy these savoury sausages as part of a hearty breakfast, or serve traditional "Bangers 'n Mash" for dinner. Chef’s Incredible Tip: After you thoroughly wash and rinse the sausage casings, soak them in pineapple juice for 24-36 hours (in the fridge) and then rinse them again prior to stuffing them. This process softens the casings and makes them much more tender and palatable!
Top Review by FredBT
Anyone that makes English sausage/bangers professionally or as a home cook would know that this recipe is not even close. Except for the sage it is closer to an Irish sausage.<br/>I would be happy to contribute a more accurate, simpler recipe, again.
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground veal or 1⁄2 lb lamb
- 6 ounces suet
- fresh breadcrumb, made from 3 slices of white bread,including crust
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon, rind of
- 1 large egg
- prepared hog casing (can't get sausage casings, shape the sausage mixture into patties instead of link sausages) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Knead together the pork, veal, fat, and bread.
- Stir the salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, mace, thyme, marjoram, sage, onion powder and lemon peel into the egg, and then knead into the meat mixture.
- CHEF'S NOTE: At this point, I fry a small sausage patty and taste it so that I can adjust the seasonings, because the recipe so far is fairly mild.
- Firmly stuff the mixture into the prepared hog (sausage) casings.
- Prick any air pockets with a pin.
- Poach, broil, grill, or fry them before serving.
- Serve the bangers, drowned in nice thick onion and mushroom gravy, with a heap of mashed potatoes.
- The raw sausages can be refrigerated for 3 days, cooked sausages for 1 week.
- They can also be frozen (raw, poached, or broiled) for 3 months.