Recipe by Ozzy
This is a great recipe because it can be made the day before, will keep warm without coming to any harm, and it will also re-heat very successfully. And, yes, it does freeze well too! But best of all it tastes great!
- 500 g red cabbage
- 250 g cooking apples, peeled and chopped small
- 250 g onions, chopped small
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 8 g butter
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C.
- First discard the tough outer leaves of the cabbage.
- Shred the rest of the cabbage finely, i prefer to do it by hand
- In a fairly large casserole, arrange a layer of shredded cabbage seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Then a layer of chopped onions and apples with a sprinkling of garlic, spices and sugar. Continue with these alternate layers until everything is in.
- Pour in the wine vinegar, lastly add dots of butter on the top.
- Put a lid on the casserole and let it cook very slowly in the oven for 2-2½ hours, stirring everything around once or twice during the cooking.
- Serve (great with pork).