Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
There is some debate in our ice cream parlor what the "traditional" split consists of. I did some research before we opened and it seems that this is the most consistently "traditional" split served, even though some have marshmallow, peanuts, crushed cherries and more. I prefer hot fudge over the chocolate syrup, personally :P
- 1⁄2 cup scoop vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄2 cup scoop chocolate ice cream
- 1⁄2 cup scoop strawberry ice cream
- 1 large ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (or Hot Fudge)
- 2 tablespoons strawberry ice cream topping (or fresh strawberries)
- 2 tablespoons crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons wet walnut ice cream topping
- whipped cream
- Line up ice cream scoops next to each other in an oval deep dish or a banana boat.
- Cut the ends of the banana off (about 1/4 inch) while still in the peel.
- Slice in half longways.
- Pop each half of the banana out of the peel onto each side of the ice cream row, pressing down and in a little so it'll stay put.
- Top the vanilla ice cream with the pineapple, the chocolate with the chocolate syrup and the strawberry with the strawberry sauce.
- Spoon the wet walnuts over all three scoops of ice cream.
- Top each scoop with some whipped cream and a cherry for each.
I like Ilysse! My kind of mom! :D Thank you so much for doing the research on the banana split! I've wanted to know this for quite a while, but never remembered to look it up. This sounds simply delicious and will be on the dessert menu for tonight. :D
Good stuff, the kids thought I lost my mind when I served these for dinner Wed night lol, but they were really good. Personally, I think it was healthier than fast food (omega3s from the nuts, calcium from the ice cream - I used low fat but frozen yogurt would be good too if you can find the right flavors - and fruit from the banana, strawberries and pineapple) and it's better to eat it for dinner than try to shove it in on top of a full meal. :) Will make them again, maybe for breakfast ;)
This is the way we have our banana splits. They are so good. The wet walnut topping was something we hadn't had before so I used recipe #243235 Wet Nuts Ice Cream Topping. Thanks Karen. Bullwinkle.