1/1 Photo of Traditional Bahraini Muhammar - Sweet Rice Dish
Um Safia's Note:
This is one of the most famous Bahraini dishes. It is a sweet rice dish which is typically served with fish. I just wanted to add: this recipe calls for 6 cloves, HOWEVER, I think it REALLY ONLY NEEDS 2 cloves!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak together saffron, cardamom, cloves, and rosewater; leave aside to steep.
- 2Add rice to 6 cups of lightly salted boiling water: boil to half cooked - about 8 minutes; drain.
- 3Stir sugar through the hot rice.
- 4Heat the ghee or butter in the same pan the rice was boiled and add the sweetened rice. Sprinkle the rose water mix on top.
- 5Cover the rim of pan with a cloth or paper towels and place lid on tightly.
- 6Cook over very low heat about 20-25 minutes. Transfer to serving platter.
- 7Top with melted butter.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Bahraini Muhammar - Sweet Rice Dish
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.0
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 22.2 mg
- Sodium 4.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: