1/2 Photos of Traditional Bahraini Chicken Machboos / Machbous
2 hrs 15 mins
Um Safia's Note:
Machboos is a dish of rice & meat, popular in many Gulf countries & across Saudi Arabia. Here is a version which is traditionally made in Bahrain. If you don't have any Buharat / Baharat spice mix, there are a few here on Zaar to choose from. If you don't want to use a whole chicken, your favourite pieces would be fine too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 650 g basmati rice
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 -1 1/2 kg chicken
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 green hot pepper, as desired
- 2 black dried limes
- 2 teaspoons baharat spice mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 slice gingerroot, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1Cut the chicken in half. Heat the water and leave aside. In a small bowl, mix the buharat, turmeric, cumin, and cardamom together and add to the mixture one teaspoon of salt. Sprinkle half of the spice mixture on the chicken halves.
- 2Heat oil in a large cooking pan, fry the onions until golden brown, then add to the pepper and the black limes - you MUST make a hole in each limes.
- 3Add the chicken to the onion mixture and turn it over a few times in the pan. Sprinkle on the chicken a teaspoon of cinnamon and the rest of the mixed spices. Turn the contents all together so the chicken is coated with the spices, cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- 4Add the garlic, chopped ginger, and tomato cubes to the pan and turn the ingredients in the pan a few times. Cover again for 3 minutes on medium heat. Sprinkle with the rest of the salt and pour on it water while its still hot.
- 5Cover the pan and let it cook for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked. Add the copped coriander 5 minutes before you remove the chicken from the stock in the pan. While the chicken is cooking, wash the rice well and soak for 10 minutes in cold water, then drain.
- 6Remove the chicken from the pan and put on an oven tray, brush with some oil and sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon powder and grill in the oven until the chicken is golden brown.
- 7Add the rice to the chicken stock, stir, then let it cook on low heat until the rice absorbs the stock and is almost done.
- 8Sprinkle rose water and lemon juice over the rice and place the butter pieces on the top. Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- 9Serve the rice on a large serving plate and place the grilled chicken halves on the top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Bahraini Chicken Machboos / Machbous
Serving Size: 1 (607 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 916.8
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 140.2 mg
- Sodium 1350.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 41.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
baharat spice mix