Recipe by Um Safia
This is an authentic recipe for the traditional style of coffee that is drunk in Bahrain. The key to a great cup of coffee is the ground coffee - if you can get Gulf Coffee then do so. Gulf Coffee is light / medium roasted beans which are then ground with cardamom & saffron. If you can't get Gulf Coffee then use a coffee which is as lightly roasted as possible & add a little extra cardamom & saffron to the coffee as you make it.
- 4 cups water (900ml - 1L approx)
- 3 tablespoons gulf coffee
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons rose water
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boil.
- Add the coffee, cardamom, and saffron .simmer uncovered on low heat for 3 minutes.
- Strain mixture into jug.
- Bring mixture up to the boil again then remove from the heat. Add the rose water & pour into a coffee pot.
- Serve in demi tasse coffee cups with dates, mixed nuts or pastries.