Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 mins
This is an authentic recipe for the traditional style of coffee that is drunk in Bahrain. The key to a great cup of coffee is the ground coffee - if you can get Gulf Coffee then do so. Gulf Coffee is light / medium roasted beans which are then ground with cardamom & saffron. If you can't get Gulf Coffee then use a coffee which is as lightly roasted as possible & add a little extra cardamom & saffron to the coffee as you make it.
- 4 cups water (900ml - 1L approx)
- 3 tablespoons gulf coffee
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- Bring water to boil.
- Add the coffee, cardamom, and saffron .simmer uncovered on low heat for 3 minutes.
- Strain mixture into jug.
- Bring mixture up to the boil again then remove from the heat. Add the rose water & pour into a coffee pot.
- Serve in demi tasse coffee cups with dates, mixed nuts or pastries.
I ground coffee beans with some cardamom seeds in Braun coffee grinder. I will always use this mix for my Turkish coffee.
I love this coffee. Of course, I love anything with cardamom. I think the rose water really adds a bit to it.
This coffee is marvelous no matter at what time of day yo enjoy it, and enjoy it you will. I made it for my first coffee of the day. I have been adding a bit of saffron to my coffee for awhile and I love it, this mix is even better. Used Corta's Mediterranean Coffee. Simply delicious.