1/4 Photos of Traditional Algerian Sables (Cookies) - Like Linzer Augen
Um Safia's Note:
This is my own family recipe for the traditional Algerian 'Sables' cookies. These sables are very easy to make & are a real favourite in our home. We like them with strawberry jam filling & icing sugar dusting or with apricot jam filing & dessicated coconut finish... but you can use any of your favourite preserves (if they have fruit pieces in you should sieve them before using. I have a special 4cm fluted sables cutter but you can use any cutters. I oftern use star cutters then punch out the small round centre by using a small metal bottle top (like on food colourings), or round cutter & using a small star, heart or flower cutter for the centre. These sables freeze nicely in layers separated by parchment or waxed paper in an airtight container. Allow to defrost in a single layer then dust the tops & fill with jam.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Sables
- 236.59 ml margarine or 236.59 ml butter, softened
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 1 large free range egg
- 591.47 ml plain flour (allpurpose)
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 14.79 ml vanilla sugar or 4.92 ml vanilla flavoring or 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 177.44 ml strawberry jam (or preserve of your choice)
- 118.29-177.44 ml icing sugar (confectioners)
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C
- 2Cream the margarine & sugar(s) until light & fluffy.
- 3Beat in the egg & vanilla, then gradually fold in the flour & baking powder.
- 4Mix slowly until a soft dough forms. The dough is very soft & needs handling with care but it shouldn't be sticky. If your dough is still a little sticky, sift in a little extra flour.
- 5Roll out to about 4mm thick, be sure to flour the rolling pin well.
- 6Cut out 'tops & bottoms' for your sables.
- 7Place on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil (shiny side up) & bake for 8 minutes. The sables should be just set but still white.
- 8Allow the sables to cool on the sheet for a minute then remove to a cold plate or tray to finish cooling.
- 9When the sables are fully cooled, heat the jam until bubbling.
- 10Place all the sables tops onto a tray & dust generously with the icing sugar.
- 11Allow the jam to cool slightly then spoon approx 1/2 tsp of the jam onto the underside of the sables 'bottoms'.
- 12Then carefully place a 'top' over the blob of jam.
- 13Allow to set, then store in one layer in an airtight container for upto 10 days.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Algerian Sables (Cookies) - Like Linzer Augen
Serving Size: 1 (1083 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.4
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.4 mg
- Sodium 64.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: