This is my own family recipe for the traditional Algerian 'Sables' cookies. These sables are very easy to make & are a real favourite in our home. We like them with strawberry jam filling & icing sugar dusting or with apricot jam filing & dessicated coconut finish... but you can use any of your favourite preserves (if they have fruit pieces in you should sieve them before using. I have a special 4cm fluted sables cutter but you can use any cutters. I oftern use star cutters then punch out the small round centre by using a small metal bottle top (like on food colourings), or round cutter & using a small star, heart or flower cutter for the centre. These sables freeze nicely in layers separated by parchment or waxed paper in an airtight container. Allow to defrost in a single layer then dust the tops & fill with jam.
For the Sables
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large free range egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups plain flour (allpurpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar or 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup strawberry jam (or preserve of your choice)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup icing sugar (confectioners)
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- Cream the margarine & sugar(s) until light & fluffy.
- Beat in the egg & vanilla, then gradually fold in the flour & baking powder.
- Mix slowly until a soft dough forms. The dough is very soft & needs handling with care but it shouldn't be sticky. If your dough is still a little sticky, sift in a little extra flour.
- Roll out to about 4mm thick, be sure to flour the rolling pin well.
- Cut out 'tops & bottoms' for your sables.
- Place on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil (shiny side up) & bake for 8 minutes. The sables should be just set but still white.
- Allow the sables to cool on the sheet for a minute then remove to a cold plate or tray to finish cooling.
- When the sables are fully cooled, heat the jam until bubbling.
- Place all the sables tops onto a tray & dust generously with the icing sugar.
- Allow the jam to cool slightly then spoon approx 1/2 tsp of the jam onto the underside of the sables 'bottoms'.
- Then carefully place a 'top' over the blob of jam.
- Allow to set, then store in one layer in an airtight container for upto 10 days.