Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Printed on the back of a box of Trader Joe's brand Free Range Chicken Broth. I don't make bold claims with recipes stating they are "the best..." but I liked the name. Furthermore, I enjoy posting Trader Joe recipes especially for folks who don't have a store in their city or those living abroad. Vegan-friendly merely by replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth. The chives are optional.
- 5 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced (substitute with another herb of choice or substitute scallions or green onions)
- white pepper, to taste
- Heat the potatoes and broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain and *reserve* cooking liquid.
- Mash potatoes with 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid/broth. Add more liquid if necessary for desired consistency.
- Stir in chives or other herb of choice.
- Season with white pepper.
- Tip: save the remaining cooking liquid for another recipe.
Yay! Mashed potatoes I don't feel guilty about eating! Hard to believe these are basically fat free yet so full of flavor. What a great idea to cook them in broth and use that liquid to make them creamy. And it works -- great on the flavor and great on the texture! I had just bought a potato ricer and this was my inagural "ricing." And it may now be the only way I make mashed potatoes!
What a great idea to cook them in broth. I used a store bought organic broth and I was amazed by how great it tasted. The potatoes were amazing. I added sauted minced garlic and forgot to add the chives although they were sitting on the counter. This is my new favorite way to make mashed potatoes. I also used red bliss potatoes and semi removed the skin, so as there is bits of skin. Made for Veg 'n Swap tag #59.
These turned out much creamier than I expected! Very easy and quick to make and still super yummy. The reduced calories and fat definitely anchored this recipe into the 5 range. I used a homemade veggie stock which is a bit more rich than the store bought and that made them a bit darker regardless they were really good and potato-ey. Thanks so much for a fast, easy, and healthy way to make mashed taters!!! Made for Veg*n Swap #34!!