Recipe by COOKGIRl
Printed on the back of a box of Trader Joe's brand Free Range Chicken Broth. I don't make bold claims with recipes stating they are "the best..." but I liked the name. Furthermore, I enjoy posting Trader Joe recipes especially for folks who don't have a store in their city or those living abroad. Vegan-friendly merely by replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth. The chives are optional.
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
Yay! Mashed potatoes I don't feel guilty about eating! Hard to believe these are basically fat free yet so full of flavor. What a great idea to cook them in broth and use that liquid to make them creamy. And it works -- great on the flavor and great on the texture! I had just bought a potato ricer and this was my inagural "ricing." And it may now be the only way I make mashed potatoes!
- 5 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced (substitute with another herb of choice or substitute scallions or green onions)
- white pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the potatoes and broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain and *reserve* cooking liquid.
- Mash potatoes with 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid/broth. Add more liquid if necessary for desired consistency.
- Stir in chives or other herb of choice.
- Season with white pepper.
- Tip: save the remaining cooking liquid for another recipe.