Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Creamy, thick and chunky.
- 3 cups corn (canned or frozen)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 russet potato, large, peeled & diced
- 1 cup frozen cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- chili powder (optional)
- Heat olive oil in soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until soft - about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in broth and milk. Add corn and diced potato. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes until potato is cooked and soup is thick.
- Add shrimp, thyme, salt and pepper. Heat through and serve. Garnish with cheese and chili powder if desired.
This was a really nice way to use up leftover grilled corn. The chowder was thick and chunky as described and easy to make. The shrimp were a nice addition. DH and I were generous with the chile powder and shredded cheese which we added to our individual servings. While we enjoyed this for lunch, we did feel as though the recipe was missing something. Maybe garlic? The only modification I made was to sub veggie broth for the chicken broth. Thanks!