Prep 3 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple supper or luncheon recipe that can be whipped up in a trice! Organic chicken breasts that are diced and then sautéed with fresh tarragon and crème fraiche with just a hint of lemon juice! This can be made in less than 15 minutes from prep to plate, making it an ideal recipe for busy bees or couch potatoes! I love this served with a simple selection of salad leaves and herbs dressed with a classic French dressing. Do try to use fresh tarragon, I have not tried this with dried, but imagine that it will not be as zingy and fresh. This is not necessarily a summer recipe, but my tarragon is in season at the moment, the sun is out and therein a recipe name was born! Bon appétit!
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nut oil, such as walnut oil
- 1 chicken breast, boned (with skin or skinless)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- creme fraiche, to taste
- lemon juice, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh tarragon leaves (to garnish)
- Cut your chicken breast into smallish pieces, I like to cut mine into fingers about 1/2" wide and 3" long -- you can also dice it into cubes if you wish.
- Heat the butter and oil until sizzling but not brown, add the chopped tarragon and chicken pieces immediately (skin side down if using chicken with skin) and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the chicken is sticky and a nice caramel colour; the butter will have browned by now, but that is fine as long as it does not burn. Turn the chicken over and cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add some crème fraiche to your own requirements - I use about 2 tablespoons, but you can add more later. Allow to bubble for about 2 minutes and then add some lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper and adjust the consistency if you want it creamier.
- Serve with fresh tarragon leaves scattered over the top and a side salad with French dressing. Bon appétit!
French Tart, this is indeed a very delicious chicken recipe. I must tell you though, that I did make one major change and that was I cooked this in my crock pot (done out of necessity). I know this definitely altered the taste of the recipe and I can't wait to make it again as directed but I must tell you that the family all gave it 5 stars anyway. Since we can not get creme fraiche in any of our little markets here in the deep woods, I blended the little bit of sour cream I had left with an ounce of cream cheese and a pinch of cream to get a smooth consistency that blended well with the lemon juice and chicken broth. It made a very tasty Sunday meal. Thank you for posting this delicious recipe. Made and reviewed for the 39th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap. P.S. I must add that DS said "This is a 200 star recipe! The little leaves are extra tasty!!" referring to the fresh tarragon sprinkled on top of the plated chicken.
Wonderful FT! You did not say which nut oil to use so I used walnut oil. The fresh tarragon was nice, but next time I will use dry for the cooking part and fresh for the garnish. I made this for my lunch yesterday and enjoyed it greatly. As you know I am a great fan of cheese so I also garnished with a small amount of Crotonese cheese from Italy. Thanks for posting this wonderful and simple recipe!
So fast, so easy and so delicious. (And I don't even like chicken!) Made it just as directed and will be making many more times. Thank you! Update: This recipe is also fantastic for larger dinners. We had 6 additional people staying with us and it was the perfect dinner to make for everyone after a busy day. It's so elegant and everyone loved it. I used sour cream that night instead of creme fraiche to save money and served it with rice. Thanks again!