Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw pitmaster Joseph Realmuto from Townline Barbeque in Sagaponack, NY, make this on the Barefoot Contessa show Get Grilling, and it looked mighty good. I'm putting here for safekeeping. I have halved the original recipe(the original recipe makes 4 quarts). Great on everytning! Enjoy! I use this on corn and toful and veggies. One reviewer says he freezes the sauce in plastic container, and it doesn't freeze solid, so he can spoon out the amount he wants. Cool. I have also included amounts for quartering the recipe to make 1 quart.
- 1⁄8 lb butter (1/2 stick-some people have replaced the butter with olive oil)
- 1⁄3 cup minced onion
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup minced garlic
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄8 cups ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 tablespoon pureed chipotle chile (if too spicy for you cut the amount in half)
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, ketchup, tomato juice, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, vinegar, chipotle puree, salt and 1-1 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil(start with one cup, it will be thicker, then add more water if you want it thinner) .
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, or to consistency you like(by simmering a little longer).
- Makes 2 quarts.
- To cut this recipe in half use the following amounts:.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp minced onion
- 1-2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1 1/4 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup tomato juice
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce(2 Tbls.)
- 1/8 cup chili powder(2 Tbls.)
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chipotle puree(just puree a chipotle chili from the can)
- Pinch kosher salt.
- And use 3/4 cup water.