Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an elegant side dish for roast beef or cut into smaller slices, a great appetizer or cocktail fare.The recipe makes two strudels, but is easily halved. Originally from the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor section of a May 1983 issue of Bon Apetit. The recipe comes from a natural foods restaurant in Bar Harbor,Maine called the Town Farm.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces, room temperature
- 1 cup fine plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and diced (about 10 chestnuts)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (1 small lemon)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 20 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 -3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onion and saute, stirring frequently, until vegetables are golden and mushroom juices have evaporated.
- Stir in Sherry and salt and cook until all Sherry is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and drain well; return mushroom mixture to skillet.
- Add cream cheese to mushrooms and stir until melted (place over low heat if necessary).
- Blend in breadcrumbs,yogurt, sour cream, parsley,water chestnuts, garlic,lemon juice, caraway seed and pepper; adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease rimmed large baking sheet.
- Place one phyllo sheet on work surface, covering remainder with plastic wrap to prevent drying.
- Brush sheet with butter;cover with second sheet and brush with butter.
- Repeat to form a stack of 10 sheets, brushing each with butter.
- Spoon half of mushroom filling in strip along one long edge of phyllo, leaving a 3 inch margin at each end.
- Roll up phyllo to enclose filling, tucking in ends.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet seam side down; brush with butter.
- Sprinkle top with half of poppy seed.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling to form second roll.
- Bake strudels until crisp and browned, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then cut each roll into 8 pieces.
- Serve immediately.