1 hr 30 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is an elegant side dish for roast beef or cut into smaller slices, a great appetizer or cocktail fare.The recipe makes two strudels, but is easily halved. Originally from the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor section of a May 1983 issue of Bon Apetit. The recipe comes from a natural foods restaurant in Bar Harbor,Maine called the Town Farm.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces, room temperature
- 1 cup fine plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and diced (about 10 chestnuts)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (1 small lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 20 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 -3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Add mushrooms and onion and saute, stirring frequently, until vegetables are golden and mushroom juices have evaporated.
- 3Stir in Sherry and salt and cook until all Sherry is absorbed.
- 4Remove from heat and drain well; return mushroom mixture to skillet.
- 5Add cream cheese to mushrooms and stir until melted (place over low heat if necessary).
- 6Blend in breadcrumbs,yogurt, sour cream, parsley,water chestnuts, garlic,lemon juice, caraway seed and pepper; adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- 7Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 8Grease rimmed large baking sheet.
- 9Place one phyllo sheet on work surface, covering remainder with plastic wrap to prevent drying.
- 10Brush sheet with butter;cover with second sheet and brush with butter.
- 11Repeat to form a stack of 10 sheets, brushing each with butter.
- 12Spoon half of mushroom filling in strip along one long edge of phyllo, leaving a 3 inch margin at each end.
- 13Roll up phyllo to enclose filling, tucking in ends.
- 14Transfer to prepared baking sheet seam side down; brush with butter.
- 15Sprinkle top with half of poppy seed.
- 16Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling to form second roll.
- 17Bake strudels until crisp and browned, about 25 minutes.
- 18Let cool 5 minutes, then cut each roll into 8 pieces.
- 19Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Town Farm Mushroom Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.1
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 55.9 mg
- Sodium 378.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g