1 hr 39 mins
1 hr 4 mins
If you want the sides of the cakes frosted, double the cream cheese frosting recipe. From BH&G.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting (Makes 3 1/2 Cups)
- 1Grease and lightly flour three 9 x 1 1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside.
- 2In a covered medium saucepan cook carrots in a moderate amount of boiling water about 20 minutes or until very tender; drain.
- 3Cool carrots slightly. Coarsely mash with a potato masher.
- 4In a very large bowl stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 5Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add vegetable oil, eggs, pineapple and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until all ingredients are combined. Fold in mashed carrots, pecans and coconut.
- 6Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- 7Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven 35 - 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- 8Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on racks. While layers are cooling, prepare cream cheese frosting.
- 9Cream Cheese Frosting:.
- 10Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add cream cheese and vanilla extract; beat until fluffy. Stir in chopped pecans.
- 11Use pecan halves for garnish if desired.
- 12Praline Sauce:.
- 13In small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and whipping cream. Bring to full boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat.
- 14Boil gently 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vanilla extract. Cool.
- 15To Assemble: Place one cake layer, top side up, on a cake plate. Using about 1 cup of the frosting, pipe or spoon a rim about 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch high around outer edge of layer.
- 16Spoon about 2 tablespoons frosting into center, leaving an unfrosted ring. Spread about half of the praline sauce into the unfrosted ring. Sauce will not fill ring.
- 17Add second cake, top side up. Repeat frosting and filling steps using another 1 cup of the frosting and remaining praline sauce.
- 18Add third cake layer, top side up. Frost top and side with remaining frosting. If desired, garnish with additional chopped pecans.
- 19Cover. Store in refrigerator.
- 20Let refrigerated cake stand, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 21Or thaw frozen cake, covered, in refrigerator overnight. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Towering Praline Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 780.7
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 108.9 mg
- Sodium 387.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 70.0 g
- Protein 7.3 g