Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Emeril's "There's A Chef In My World". Surprisingly simple and quite tasty.
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon savory
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large pan cook the bacon until crisp.
- Add the ground pork, salt & pepper, cinnamon, cloves and essence.
- Brown the meat breaking up any lumps as you go along.
- Add the celery and onion cooking until they are soft.
- Then add the garlic savor and flour cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water, broth and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove bay leaf and set filling aside to cool. The filling may be made a day ahead.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place pie crust in a 9 inch pan and spoon in chilled meat mixture.
- Brush the edges of the pie crust with beaten egg and place second crust on top, sealing the edge.
- Cut vents in top and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Brush the entire pie with the remaining egg and bake on the lowest rack of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes.
Very tasty, not too difficult, and something I plan on using often