Recipe by Chelle_DaysFlutterby
This recipe makes 3 pies. A delicious meat pie that can be served with a wide variety of things. It is our Christmas Eve tradition to serve this with eggs and pan fried potatoes, but it is also yummy with mashed potatoes and veggies or anything else you can think of.
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
Delicious tortiere! We found this to be a little too wet at first but the next day the liquid had all been absorbed. I would recommend thickening it if it's to be served right away. My dinner guests all enjoyed this pie. Made for My-3-Chefs.
- 3 pie crusts
- 2 lbs ground lean pork (very good with 1 lb of each) or 2 lbs ground veal (very good with 1 lb of each)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can consomme
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 pinch savory
Directions See How It's Made
- Place meat onion, celery, garlic and salt and pepper in sauce pan, cook until meat is granular.
- Put into dutch oven and fill pot until liquid covers the meat. If not enough consomme then add water.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- When done (mixture should still be "wet"). Remove from heat and mix in:.
- ½ to ¾ tsp cinnamon.
- ¼ tsp clove.
- Pinch of savory.
- Fill 3 bottom pie shells (quite full) and wet edges with egg/water combination.
- Put top crust on all 3 bottoms and using a fork, press down edges to seal.
- Slice top a few times to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until deep golden.
- *You can add sprinkles of flour to meat mixture to thicken.