Amy Duchesne's Note:
A French Canadian dish that is served everywhere in the Northern Quebec region. It is tasty and filling. It takes a long time to cook and peeling and cubing all the potatoes may be tiring but it is well worth it! Try it just once and I'm sure you'll agree.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The French Canadian way: All of the above except use beef bullion concentrate to flavor the meal instead of Campbell's Soup.
- 2Add water, 2 cans Campbell's Soup, salt,pepper, and ground pork and hamburger meat to a large pot.
- 3Boil ingredients until the meat is fully cooked.
- 4Taste to see if it needs more salt or not.
- 5Peel and cube potatoes and mix with the last 2 cans of soup; set aside.
- 6For the full recipe, use a turkey basting pan with lid to bake this.
- 7For smaller recipe, use a stock pot.
- 8Line the bottom of the pan with dough.
- 9Fill the bottom of the pan with half of the cubed potatoes.
- 10Pour the meat and stock on top of the potatoes.
- 11Pour the last half of the potatoes on top of the meat and stock.
- 12You should be able to see stock peeping through the top layer of potatoes.
- 13Cover and seal with the dough.
- 14Make 4 slits at the center of the pie dough to allow the ingredients to breathe as they cook.
- 15Cover with foil or lid.
- 16Bake for 1 hour at 400 degrees or until it is boiling.
- 17Reduce the heat to 225 degrees and bake for 11 hours, 9 hours if the recipe is smaller.
- 18Serve immediately and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tourtiere Du Lac St-Jean
Serving Size: 1 (644 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1955.9
- Calories from Fat 798
- Total Fat 88.7 g
- Saturated Fat 32.1 g
- Cholesterol 254.2 mg
- Sodium 629.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 199.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.1 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 87.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
campbell's condensed vegetable soup
Campbell's beef and barley soup