Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my Memere's tourtiere recipe, tweaked a bit, but don't tell her that. One does not mess with a French woman's meat pie recipe, lol. All the men in my family are moose hunters. This is one way we use the ground moose meat. Moose meat is very lean so do not cut back on the ground pork.
- 1 lb ground moose
- 3 lbs ground pork
- 4 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons savory
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons steak sauce
- 4 potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 pie crusts, uncooked
- Combine Pork, moose, onion, garlic, spices, water and sauces in a skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook uncovered for 20 minutes, or long enough to remove pink from meat. Mixture should be moist, not watery.
- Add enough potatoes to absorb the liquid. Cool.
- Fill crust, cover with top crust and seal edges. Cut vent holes.
- Combine egg and water and brush over pastry crust.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Fantastic recipe. Not a lot of moose dishes available but so glad we tried this one. My search has ended for moose hamburger . Thank You.