Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is my Grandmaman's recipe and a family tradition at Christmas time. Cook time is approximate.
- 2 lbs beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- salt pork, minced
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb shortening
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- Prepare pastry.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt.
- Cut in shortening til crumbly.
- Stir in ice water with a fork until it forms a ball.
- Roll out 2/3 of it to fit a large 5 litre (20 cup) size rectangular casserole.
- For filling, mix together meat, potatoes, onion and seasonings.
- Pour into crust and spread evenly.
- Add 2 1/2 cups to 3 cups water, just until you can see it through the filling.
- Roll out remaining crust to cover the top.
- Place on top, seal and vent for steam.
- Bake at 450*F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325*F and bake for 4 hours or longer, until it is a rich brown, cover if the top becomes too dark.
Just awful. Bland. Not enough seasoning. Too many potatoes!!
This may be too many potatoes - 5 pounds is an awful lot of potatoes to put in one pie. This amount may cut out the taste of all the rest of the spices.