Recipe by salvador1709
From The MDC Kitchen To Yours
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
I chose to make this recipe because I'm on a quest to find the perfect (for DH's taste) tourtiere. This tourtiere is very good! DH gave it 4 stars. I prepared this exactly as written with the exception of using 1 red onion which came to about 1 1/2 cups of chopped onion and I mixed the cornstarch with a small amount of cold water before adding to the pie filling. Next time I would add some ground cloves. That would probably make it a 5 star recipe for DH. The crust I used was Pillsbury refrigerator pie crust. It was baked for about 15 minutes at 400F then the outer rim was covered with foil to prevent over browning and baked for another 30 minutes. Made for My-3-Chefs
- 2 lbs ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet, brown ground pork.
- Drain fat.
- Add the onions, garlic, salt and pepper, mace and water.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cornstarch and continue to cook until no raw taste.
- Fill pastry lined pie plate with meat filling, top with pastry and crimp edges to seal. Cut slits in top.
- Bake and serve with gravy.