Recipe by mollypaul
Lovely and luscious, this tempter comes from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 1 crumb pie crust (either store bought or your own recipe)
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons rum
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet chocolate, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften gelatin in water for 5 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks, add milk sugar and salt; cook over low heat, stirring constantly.
- When mixture coats the spoon, stir in softened gelatin.
- Beat egg whites, add rum and fold into cooled custard.
- Pour into crumb pie crust, cover with whipped cream and sprinkle with grated chocolate.