Prep 5 mins
Cook 37 mins
This recipe is a take off on Tournedos Bearnaise. Although I have included a chipotle salsa, any other chipotle sauce may be substituted. You can use chipotles in adobo sauce or dried chipotles. As in any recipe calling for any type of chile, feel free to substitute. From "Too Many Chiles!" by Dave DeWitt, Nancy and Jeff Gerlach.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons oil (any type)
- 6 dried chipotle chiles, soaked in water until soft, finely chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano (mexican preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 4 filet mignon
- 4 slices French bread, fried in butter, until golden brown
- Saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft, then add all of the other ingredients and cook over low heat until done, approximately one half hour.
- Remove from heat and puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the pan and keep warm until ready for serving.
- Grill or saute the Filet Mignons to taste, usually rare or medium-rare. Place each Filet on a slice of the french bread, and spread the sauce over each. Serve warm.
We had this for our Christmas dinner. It was very good.