Recipe by keen5
This is an impressive delicious meal when served with roasted or sauteed potatoes and watercress. You can make the sauce ahead and keep covered. No need to reheat because it will be served over hot meat. If desired, place in a preheated thermos (rinsed with boiling water) for up to 2 hours. Prep and Cook time is approximate. The sauce makes approximately 3/4 cup.
For the meat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large shallots, minced
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 1/4 inch thick (tournedos)
For the Bearnaise sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided into 3 pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley
- 2 teaspoons tarragon or 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tarragon
Directions See How It's Made
- For the tournedos, melt butter in skillet.
- Add shallots and mushrooms and saute over high heat until most of the moisture has evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in tomato paste; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add tournedos to pan and cook over high heat for 3 minutes per side for rare.
- Place tournedos on a heated serving platter.
- Divide mushroom mixture and place on top of each tournedo.
- Cover each with Bearnaise sauce.
- For the sauce, combine egg yolks and lemon juice in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling water.
- Add butter, 1 piece at a time, stirring constantly until melted.
- Continue stirring until thickened.
- Combine all remaining ingredients.