Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yes, this is from Brennan's in New Orleans, and yes it is wonderful. This is one of my stand-by dishes for special occasions, and sometimes just because I want it!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup canned sliced mushrooms, reserve liquid
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom liquid
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 4 small filet mignon
- 1 large ripe tomatoes
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and saute mushrooms.
- Add flour and cook slowly a few minutes until slightly browned.
- Stir in wine, mushroom juice, and seasonings.
- Cook until thickened.
- While sauce is cooking, season and grill filets to taste (rare or medium rare) Cut the tomato into four nice slices and grill.
- Arrange tomato slice on each filet and pour mushroom sauce over all.
Don't know how this tastes in New Oleans, it did taste great in Holland. Easy dish, with an elegant result. I used a good cup fresh mushrooms, which were reduced to about half a cup after sauteeing them, the mushroom liquid I replaced with some light chicken stock. I used a little less flour because I made the sauce in advance and then it thickens a bit more.
I made this tonight for dinner and was quite impressed! I actually got my husband to eat tomatoes! Since I am pregnant, I did not use the red wine -- instead I substituted the same amount of red wine for chicken stock and added one teaspoon of vinegar (for the acidity). I have also used a cup of fresh mushrooms as suggested by a previous reviewer and replaced the mushroom liquid with chicken stock. Thank you for posting this recipe.