Recipe by Miss Annie
Yes, this is from Brennan's in New Orleans, and yes it is wonderful. This is one of my stand-by dishes for special occasions, and sometimes just because I want it!
Top Review by Pets'R'us
Don't know how this tastes in New Oleans, it did taste great in Holland. Easy dish, with an elegant result. I used a good cup fresh mushrooms, which were reduced to about half a cup after sauteeing them, the mushroom liquid I replaced with some light chicken stock. I used a little less flour because I made the sauce in advance and then it thickens a bit more.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup canned sliced mushrooms, reserve liquid
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom liquid
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 4 small filet mignon
- 1 large ripe tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and saute mushrooms.
- Add flour and cook slowly a few minutes until slightly browned.
- Stir in wine, mushroom juice, and seasonings.
- Cook until thickened.
- While sauce is cooking, season and grill filets to taste (rare or medium rare) Cut the tomato into four nice slices and grill.
- Arrange tomato slice on each filet and pour mushroom sauce over all.