Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Fancifully named toucinho do céu (bacon from heaven), one of Portugal's rich egg-yolk custards. Name derives from earlier times when lard *bacon* was used in making this dish. Posted for ZWT3.
- 12 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces water
- 8 ounces finely ground almonds
- 3 egg yolks
- cinnamon, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325F.; lightly grease 9” pie dish.
- Place sugar and water in a saucepan, bring slowly to boil; boil rapidly for 5-10 minutes until syrup sticks to a spoon. Remove from heat, allow cool slightly; add almonds and egg yolks and mix well.
- Return to a low heat and cook, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Add cinnamon, if using.
- Transfer to prepared pie dish and bake for 45 minutes or until firm.
- Allow to cool before serving.