Recipe by Rita~
Tortas are zesty Mexican sandwiches made with crusty, torpedo-shaped rolls called bolillos.To make is simple use the store bought roasted chickens.;) Served with Oven Baked Onion Rings Cauliflower And/Or Broccoli Soup (Ww 0 Point Soup) and for dessert Sweet Onion & Apple Upside Down Cake
Top Review by BerrySweet
Could not find the chipotles in my crowded freezer, so used about 1/4 teaspoon of ground chipotle powder. Of course a torta would not be a torta without pickled jalapeno peppers & sliced avocado! With those additions it was the perfect messy sandwich.
- 177.44 ml low-fat mayonnaise
- 14.79 ml chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 7.39 ml fresh lime juice
- 6 sandwich buns, bolillos
- 354.88 ml refried beans, warm
- 473.18 ml cooked chicken or 473.18 ml cooked pork, shredded cooked
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 354.88 ml lettuce, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the chipotle mayonnaise, mix the mayonnaise, chipotles, cilantro, and lime juice until well blended.
- Cut rolls in half lengthwise.
- Pull out some of the soft white centers to make space for filling.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons refried beans on the bottom half of each.
- Top with 1/3 cup shredded chicken.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons chipotle mayonnaise over chicken.
- Top each with 1/6 of the Oso Sweet Onion slices and 1/4 cup lettuce.
- Cover with top halves of rolls and serve at once.