Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tortas are zesty Mexican sandwiches made with crusty, torpedo-shaped rolls called bolillos.To make is simple use the store bought roasted chickens.;) Served with Oven Baked Onion Rings Cauliflower And/Or Broccoli Soup (Ww 0 Point Soup) and for dessert Sweet Onion & Apple Upside Down Cake
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 6 sandwich buns, bolillos
- 1 1⁄2 cups refried beans, warm
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked pork, shredded cooked
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups lettuce, shredded
- To make the chipotle mayonnaise, mix the mayonnaise, chipotles, cilantro, and lime juice until well blended.
- Cut rolls in half lengthwise.
- Pull out some of the soft white centers to make space for filling.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons refried beans on the bottom half of each.
- Top with 1/3 cup shredded chicken.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons chipotle mayonnaise over chicken.
- Top each with 1/6 of the Oso Sweet Onion slices and 1/4 cup lettuce.
- Cover with top halves of rolls and serve at once.
Could not find the chipotles in my crowded freezer, so used about 1/4 teaspoon of ground chipotle powder. Of course a torta would not be a torta without pickled jalapeno peppers & sliced avocado! With those additions it was the perfect messy sandwich.
I never had a torta before, so I didn't know what to expect. DH remembers these from his childhood and said it tasted authentic. I warmed the beans, bolillos, and the cooked chicken for a nice warm sandwich for supper. We both really enjoyed these, and also enjoyed them cold the next day in our brown bag work lunches.
Ricas! These made a wonderful dinner but I could see them being enjoyed by a bunch of football fans watching a big game! They are very hearty. It is a must to make the chipotle mayo- it adds so much to the recipe. I used poached chicken and I never make a torta without avocado :). You'll enjoy this one!