Recipe by Baknpies49
This recipe came from Woman's Day Magazine in 1993 and won 1st prize in a Super Bowl contest. It is one of my family's favorites. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. It seems a bit lengthy but it really comes together pretty quickly. I usually start my rice in the rice cooker before putting this together.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
10 stars! No wonder this was a 1st prize winner; It's delish! I did the ingredient prep while DH browned the ground beef and stirred everything else in as it was ready. I also made recipe #225483 to go with it. Dinner was on the table in under 30 minutes & it was loved by all (even the avocado hater!) We ate this both as directed, as well as rolled up taco-style in flour tortillas. We'll be making this again & again. Thanks for posting, Baknpies! Made & enjoyed for Spring 2010 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup spicy thick & chunky salsa
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh roma tomato
- shredded fresh lemon peel
- fresh basil leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook ground beef and garlic together until beef is no longer pink.
- Add beans and salsa. Reduce heat to medium and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile mix lemon juice, oil, salt and sugar in a medium-size bowl. Stir in avocado, cilantro and basil.
- Add tomatoes to skillet and cook just until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in avocado mixture. Garnish with lemon peel and basil.
- Serve over rice.