Recipe by jackandfiona
I have totally gone off your basic boiled or mashed potato, so have been experimenting with flavours. Usually I make the Egyptian Style Potato Salad I got off Zaar, which everyone likes, but decided to try it with a different flavour track and this is what I came up with. The onion part of the dish can be prepared before hand and reheated just before putting over hot potatoes. I have had this reheated the next day and it still tastes great. You could use smoked paprika for a slightly different taste.
- 8 medium potatoes
- 5 medium coarsely chopped onions
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, stripped of their leaves
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 chopped red capsicum
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes or if new potatoes or scrubbed you can leave the skins on. Boil til just cooked and set aside. Keep potatoes hot or reheat.
- Chop onions and capsicum and garlic.
- Add all to pan with olive oil and rosemary leaves.
- Add tumeric and paprika.
- Cook at medium heat in olive oil until browned but not burnt. You want the onions to caramelise. Add more oil if necessary.
- When nearly cooked add lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste and stir through.
- Optional: At this point you can add 1 tbsp white wine or verjuice to deglaze pan.
- Just before adding onion mixture to hot potatoes, squeeze lemon juice over the top.
- Decorate with a fresh sprig of rosemary or chopped parsley.