Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This spread has been in my family for more years than I am old. My Great-Aunt Tottie made this for the whole family for years, sometimes using five pounds of cheese at a time. She never allowed anyone else in the family to do it. After her death, over 30 years ago, we found the recipe in a drawer in her kitchen much to the delight of everyone. Cook time is chilling time for peak flavor.
- 141.74 g jar diced pimentos, do not drain
- 453.59 g sharp cheddar cheese or 453.59 g extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise
- 78.07 ml chopped pecans
- 0.75-1.25 ml frank hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- Drain pimientos, but save juice.
- Combine pimientos with mayo, toss with cheese'til thoroughly mixed.
- Add pecans, hot sauce to your taste, S&P to taste, add the reserved pimiento juice to bring cheese spread to desired consistency.
- Serve as sandwich spread, cracker dip, veggie dip or just eat it off a spoon!
So good, so easy, and light years better than the stuff you buy at the store. I left out the pecans because that isn't the way they make it here and I wanted to please the southerner in the crowd. Yummy with Tostito Scoops and a bit of salsa. Thanks!
My company thought this was great! I served it with pita and bagel chips and whole wheat crackers. Oh what a feast we had when everyone dug in! Potzi
This is a keeper!! I loved the extra little crunch and flavor from the pecans. I added a tablespoon of sour cream and left out the pimento juice.