Recipe by mickie49
This spread has been in my family for more years than I am old. My Great-Aunt Tottie made this for the whole family for years, sometimes using five pounds of cheese at a time. She never allowed anyone else in the family to do it. After her death, over 30 years ago, we found the recipe in a drawer in her kitchen much to the delight of everyone. Cook time is chilling time for peak flavor.
Top Review by Kat's Mom
So good, so easy, and light years better than the stuff you buy at the store. I left out the pecans because that isn't the way they make it here and I wanted to please the southerner in the crowd. Yummy with Tostito Scoops and a bit of salsa. Thanks!
- 1 (5 ounce) jar diced pimentos, do not drain
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese or 16 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 3 -5 dashes frank hot sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pimientos, but save juice.
- Combine pimientos with mayo, toss with cheese'til thoroughly mixed.
- Add pecans, hot sauce to your taste, S&P to taste, add the reserved pimiento juice to bring cheese spread to desired consistency.
- Serve as sandwich spread, cracker dip, veggie dip or just eat it off a spoon!