Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
As ever, we adore our food with a bite. This is a recipe I played around with for awhile until I got it just as I like it. Feel free to play around with the spices, adding, or ommiting according to your preferences. I am estimating on the prep and cook time as it depends on your stove top, how thin you slice the onions and/or if you are slicing by hand, etc. Prep time also includes the frequent stirring required. It's also hard to give an exact serving amount, but I feed six people and there is usually enough left over for lunch for two, if not three, the next day. I do not care for sugar in my onion soup and have never had a problem getting the onions to carmelize without it.
- 4 large yellow onions
- 2 large red onions
- 2 large white onions
- 3 large shallots
- 6 cloves minced garlic (more or less if you prefer)
- 3 slices uncooked bacon (optional)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (one stick)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lawry seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup flour (you can add more, depends on how thick you like your soup)
- 1 (10 ounce) canrotel tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (10 ounce) cansof campbell beef consomme
- 1 (10 ounce) can water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 loaf French bread
- 6 -8 slices gruyere cheese, thick slices (more or less depending on how many you're feeding)
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Slice all the onions and the shallots thinly.
- Melt butter in a large soup pot, add the onions, shallots, bacon, and minced garlic.
- Mix well to blend the onions.
- Saute over moderate flame until mixture browns nicely and is nice, golden, and soft.
- This make take awhile depending on how high the heat is or how hot your burner gets.
- Make sure to stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Add the thyme, black pepper, seasoning salt, crushed red pepper, and saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix in well, saute for another 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the bacon.
- Add the Rotel tomatoes, chicken broth, beef consumme, water, white wine, and the Worsteschire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for at least 3 hours or as long as you like, lets flavors blend.
- I've let mine simmer all day.
- Before serving, set oven to broil.
- Thickly slice the bread and place in oven safe soup crocks.
- Ladle the soup over the bread and top with a thick slice of Gruyere cheese.
- Place soup crocks on a cookie sheet and put under broiler until cheese melts, is bubbly, and just beginning to brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve piping hot.