Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is about the easiest and the best tasting meatloaf I have ever had... now I hate meatloaf... I really really do, but my Ex. mother in law made this for one of our Sunday dinners and I was hooked... this is so tender and yummy and the sauce it makes is mouth watering... just try it and you will thank me.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped fine
- 2 medium carrots, chopped fine
- 1 red pepper, chopped fine
- 2 large eggs
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground black pepper
- steak spices (to taste)
- 5 -6 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce
- 4 -5 dashes maggi seasoning, sauce
- 2 (10 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- In a large bowl and using your hands -- mix meat, eggs, vegetables and spices adding bread crumbs to thicken the mixture so that it will form a large egg shape ball and hold its shape.
- In a large dutch oven heat oil until a piece of onion dropped in sizzles.
- Using your hands shape the meat mixture into a large egg shape. With two spatchulas, going under the large egg ball in both directions -- gently place meat into the heated oil, cover and simmer each side until nice and brown -- colour of brown sugar. When ready to turn over, again use the spatchulas -- it makes it easy to flip when using the two of them. If the meat breaks, this is an indication that it was not browned enough on one side.
- Once both sides have browned, put in the two cans of tomato soup with ½ can of water and stir until the tomato soup is well blended with the water and oil. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Our family enjoys this best with garlic mashed potatoes but some like it with plain rice as the sauce is wonderful with both.
It was very easy to make and my family loved it. I will definately be making this again and I don't like meatloaf!!!