Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Adapted from fall '07 Paula Deen magazine. The first time I made it, I tried it out on a bunch of my former bf's skateboarder friends who've never tried buttermilk pie before. One of the boys reported that it was "totally bitchin", hence the name change.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (if thats too much sugar for you,divide this into part sugar, part Splenda. It won't be as sweet, but)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter (melted, but not hot to the touch)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts (unbaked, pre-made)
- Preheat oven at 350.
- Don't pre-bake the crust!
- Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl. Make sure everything is well blended. I found that adding the buttermilk last came out best.
- Pour into pie crust and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 325 and bake for 1 hour. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the pie with foil to keep the crust from burning.
Best pie ever. Easy to make too.
I have never had a buttermilk pie before, and I asked my husband if he had, and he said, "I don't know," so I'm going to take that as a no. Haha. It was sweeter and custardy-er (is that a word?) than I thought it would be. I'm not sure what I thought it would be like. I made a homemade pie crust (half of a recipe of Recipe #401353), and it came together really quick. I used 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup Splenda, as suggested in the ingredients. I know the picture isn't the prettiest - sorry 'bout that. :( I'm not sure this was our cup of tea, but I'm glad we tried it. Made for Spring PAC 2010.
This is totally bitchin'! LOL! I have never had buttermilk pie before. It is delicious!! This was just about the easiest thing I have ever made! I am putting this on our Thanksgiving menu because I really think my guests will love it too! Made for PAC Fall 2009.