1/2 Photos of Totally Awesome Pie Pastry
This is from a Five Roses Flour Cookbook. I have no idea when it was printed; all I could find is '24th edition'. It is probably older than me .. over 31 years old; my Father had this cookbook and it was all torn up when I was a kid, but I found one a few years ago at Value Village. And of course the original name isn't Totally Awesome, it is called Standard Pastry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix Five Roses Flour, salt and baking powder together.
- 2Cut in shortening with two knives or pastry blender.
- 3Add ice cold water, a little at a time, using just enough to bind the mixture so the dough can be patted lightly to form a ball. HANDLE AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.
- 4Form 2/3 of dough into a round disc and place on lightly floured board. Save remaining dough for top crust. Roll dough from center outward, with a light, even pressure, to form a circle 1/8 inch thick and an inch larger than the pie plate.
- 5Fold double and lift gently into pie plate. Unfold and fit loosely in place. DO NOT STRETCH.
- 6Trim edges, allowing 1/4 to 1/2 inch extra all around. Put in a generous amount of filling. Heap fruit filling in center because it will cook down during baking.
- 7Roll out top crust; fold double and cut slits or fancy design near center to allow steam to escape.
- 8Brush edges of bottom crust with water, fit top crust over filling and lightly press top edges together. Trim edges evenly and flute.
- 9Bake as directed for pie filling.
- 10Yield: One 9 inch double crust pie or two 9 inch single shells.
- 11Single Shell:.
- 12Use only 1/2 of dough for each single shell. Arrange bottom crust in pie pan as above.
- 13Press pastry to rim of pie plate; flute.
- 14Add filling. Bake as directed for filling.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Totally Awesome Pie Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1588.7
- Calories from Fat 937
- Total Fat 104.2 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1349.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 143.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 19.3 g