Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy stack dish. You can add the cream sauce to the meat or add it on top as the last layer. I personally like it on top. No salt,no canned soup,just a creamy cilantro white sauce.
- Pam cooking spray
- 4 -6 cups tostito scoop tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (use for Turkey burger)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Mexican-style tomatoes, drained (save juice)
- 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese or 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, fine shredded
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- In medium saucepan, add margarine and flour.
- Whisk until margarine melted and flour blended. Add milk. Whisk on medium heat until sauce starts to thicken.
- Add cilantro and blend.
- Cook a few minutes and take off heat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven 375°.
- Use a shallow baking dish with 1 to 2 inch sides. I use a 10 1/2 inch round Pyrex baking dish. Spray dish with Pam.
- Cook burger in medium fry pan until just browned.
- Option 1. Add 1 cup cream sauce to the meat. Reserve the balance for the top.
- Option 2. Add the reserved tomato juice to meat and save the cream sauce for the top.
- Pour scoopers in the baking pan.
- Spoon meat over scoopers.
- Add diced tomatoes.
- Add shredded cheeses.
- Bake 20 minutes until cheeses are nicely melted, not brown.
- Take out of oven. Add cream sauce on top.
- Bake 10 minutes more until hot.
- Set about 10 minutes.
- Note: If you use fresh tomatoes like roma, you must add cream sauce to meat or it will be dry. There is not enough juice to add to the meat.
- You can use other types of cheeses.
- I like to use cream sauces and add flavoring nstead of canned soups which are too salty for us to eat now.
I really enjoyed this dinner. It was easy to make, and it had a great flavor. It was creamy, and spicy but not too spicy. I loved it and plan on making it again and again. And, it was just as good reheated as it was the first time. Thank you!