My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
- 1 teaspoon recaito (found in ethnic section of many markets, and worth keeping regularly in fridge!) (optional)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground dried ancho chile powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 8 corn tortillas or 8 commercially prepared flat tostadas
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans or 1 (15 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa, divided
- 1 cup sour cream, divided
- guacamole or chunked ripe avocado, for garnish
- shredded lettuce, for garnish
- grated cheddar cheese, for garnish
- 1Sauté the onion in the olive oil over medium-high heat until just soft, then add the garlic and recaito and stir well.
- 2Add the ground beef and cook until meat is well-browned, using a spatula to break up the cooked meat into smaller pieces (some folks call this "hamburger gravel"), about 8-10 minutes. Drain off fat. Add 1 tsp ancho and 1/2 tsp cumin and stir well, cooking for another 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- 3In a bowl, combine the refried beans, the remaining ancho and cumin, 1/2 cup of salsa, and 1/2 cup sour cream. Stir well.
- 4If using corn tortillas: heat oil or butter (using butter is is a luxury and a bit decadent, but very tasty!) in a pan and fry the corn tortillas, flat, on both sides until crispy.
- 5To make tostada: spread refried bean mixture, then cooked meat mixture (I prefer my tostadas without meat, but Steingrim puts it on his) onto tostada shell. Add a bit of salsa and guacamole or avocado chunks on top, then shredded lettuce, grated cheddar, and sour cream. Eat and enjoy!
- 6Makes 4 servings of 2 tostadas each.
- 7Note: Steingrim likes his extra spicy, so he adds sliced jalapenos, his special very hot salsa or sauce, and extra chopped onion to his tostadas.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tostadas Our Way
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.1
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 107.5 mg
- Sodium 844.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 34.5 g