Although tostadas do not typically have meat in them, this recipe does. Ground beef is usually used for tacos, refried beans in tostadas and a mixture of the two for burritos. I leave it up to you how you wish to enjoy your Mexican. Please feel free to take liberties with this recipe in regards to your own tastes.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (store bought, Chili Seasoning Mix or your own recipe)
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 4 tostadas or 4 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- salsa or pico de gallo
- jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- onion, minced
- green onions or scallion, chopped
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- avocado, diced
- sour cream
- Cook ground beef, onions, crushed red pepper, cumin and chili powder in a skillet until no longer pink, stirring to break into crumbles.
- Stir in refried beans.
- Place equal amounts of the beef and bean mixture on each tostada shell.
- Top with cheese, lettuce and tomato; dress tostada with the optional toppings of your choice.
Mmmm these are good. Thanks!! :)
Simple and so delicious! I've made them several times and they are always a hit!
It sounds like my favorite except I love mine with black beans instead of refried beans.