Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn, washed and dried
- 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the orange juice, olive oil, vinegar, pepper and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine and oranges.
- Add enough dressing to coat and toss well.
- Sprinkle with almonds and serve.
I made this for a dinner party of forty and it went over well. The only changes I made was that I used toasted sesame seeds instead of the almonds and I also added thinly sliced red onions. I made it like a buffet and everyone put the salad togther themselves. That way everyone could put as much or little of each ingredient they wanted. It was very refreshing. The main course was Fettuchini Alfredo and we needed a light tasting salad and this was it. UPDATE: I made this salad for my family tonight. I didn't have any orange juice so I used the juice from the can of mandarin oranges. I LOVED it! I liked the flavor of the mandarin juice over the orange. Try it! I just love this salad. It's so easy to make and tastes like a salad you'd order at a fancy resturant. YUM!
Just okay as far as my family was concerned.
Loved this salad. The dressing is nice and light and blends well with the fresh ingredients. I reduced the recipe to serve 1 and used a sectioned navel orange in place of the mandarin oranges.