Recipe by mamapantalones
This recipe comes from a collection that my swedish mom and her friends put together for a hospital benefit cookbook many years ago when we lived in Omaha, NE. (Around the time I was born - 31 years ago...:) They created and entire Scandinavian section! Recipes like this one have been in my life since I was a child and now I'm making them for my family! This is fabulous cake that goes really well with an afternoon cup of coffee - Enjoy!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
ALMOND SUGAR TOPPING
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, slivered
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- For Cake:.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Sift 1 cup plus 1 tablespoons of flour with baking powder and salt.
- Stir in flour mixture alternately with cream, stir until well blended.
- Add melted butter or margarine, blend until smooth.
- Butter a pie plate and sprinkle with fine, dry breadcrumbs or flour; coat well. Spoon batter into 9" pie plate. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until middle of cake is firm.
- For Almond Sugar Topping:.
- Combine almonds with remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring until mixture begins to bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir briskly a few times.
- Spread top of cake very gently with Topping.
- Turn up heat to 375 degrees, return cake to oven and bake 5-10 minutes longer, with a cookie sheet under the pan to prevent the bottom of cake from getting overdone. bake cake until topping is brown and bubbly.