Recipe by Ann Marie F
From the Soprano Family Cookbook. The cooking time is actually freezing time. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- 4 -6 amaretti cookies
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the cookies in a small heavy-duty plastic bag and crush them with a heavy object.
- There should be about 1/4 cup crumbs.
- Combine the cream, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and almond extract in a large chilled bowl.
- Beat with a hand-held electric mixer on high speed until the cream holds soft peaks when the beaters are lifted.
- In a clean bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites with the salt on low speed until foamy.
- Gradually increase the speed and beat until the the whites hold soft peaks.
- Fold the whites into the whipped cream.
- Spoon the mixture into 8 wine goblets.
- Sprinkle the tortoni with the amaretti crumbs.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.