1/3 Photos of Tortoise Shell Pizza ( A.k.a. Stuffed Pizza Balls)
Wild Thyme Flour's Note:
This is perfect for little hands, tv dinners and picnics. You can freeze it for oamc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 550 g plain flour
- 250 ml milk (heated to body temperature)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 11 g yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk (for glaze)
- 1Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk. Mix flour,oil, sugar,egg and yeast mixture.
- 2Knead by hand or use a machine until the dough comes together. Add the salt now and knead further.
- 3Roll into a ball and let it rise in a warm area of the kitchen.
- 4Chop the tomatoes and mozzarella into little pieces and mix together. Add thorn pieces of basil, a drizzle of olive oil and season.
- 5Chop the mortadella and emmental and process slightly to make a semi solid paste.
- 6Heat oven to 200 degrees c or 400 degreec f.
- 7Cut the dough into 24 pieces and flatten with the palm of your hand or a rolling pin to form a circle about 6 inches across.
- 8Fill half of with tomato filling and half with mortadella filling. Hold in the palm of your hand and pinch the dough to close in the filling.
- 9Place seam side down in two buttered 23cm circular tins or use aluminium ones if you are going to freeze them for future use.
- 10Do not place the balls too close to each other -- they will end up touching as they rise.
- 11Let the balls rise and use the last egg yolk to glaze the balls.
- 12Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortoise Shell Pizza ( A.k.a. Stuffed Pizza Balls)
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 747.8
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 117.4 mg
- Sodium 1437.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: