Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is perfect for little hands, tv dinners and picnics. You can freeze it for oamc.
- 550 g plain flour
- 250 ml milk (heated to body temperature)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 11 g yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk (for glaze)
- 200 g mozzarella cheese
- 2 tomatoes
- fresh basil leaf
- 200 g mortadella
- 200 g emmenthaler cheese
- 2 sage leaves
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk. Mix flour,oil, sugar,egg and yeast mixture.
- Knead by hand or use a machine until the dough comes together. Add the salt now and knead further.
- Roll into a ball and let it rise in a warm area of the kitchen.
- Chop the tomatoes and mozzarella into little pieces and mix together. Add thorn pieces of basil, a drizzle of olive oil and season.
- Chop the mortadella and emmental and process slightly to make a semi solid paste.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees c or 400 degreec f.
- Cut the dough into 24 pieces and flatten with the palm of your hand or a rolling pin to form a circle about 6 inches across.
- Fill half of with tomato filling and half with mortadella filling. Hold in the palm of your hand and pinch the dough to close in the filling.
- Place seam side down in two buttered 23cm circular tins or use aluminium ones if you are going to freeze them for future use.
- Do not place the balls too close to each other -- they will end up touching as they rise.
- Let the balls rise and use the last egg yolk to glaze the balls.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.