Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
My kids will eat just about any stew I set in front of them as long as it is served on top of rice. I revised an Arabic recipe, normally served as a casserole, to be created totally on the stovetop. It can be served on rice or eaten on a plate using pita bread. Fried eggplant with tomatoey sauce and cinnamon and other spices will please all your senses.
- Peel and cut eggplant into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Sprinkle with salt in a colander. Shake to mix.
- Wait 10 minutes to 1/2 hour.
- Blot eggplant with paper towels.
- Fry in oil until soft and golden brown.
- Set aside.
- Brown ground beef in a large pot.
- Add onion and cook until onion is soft.
- Add spices and saute a few minutes.
- Add fried eggplant, tomatoes, tomato paste and water.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour to an hour.
- Add more water if necessary.
This was WONDERFUL. Made exactly as written and enjoyed it over jasmati rice. Wonderful aroma while cooking and the flavor was sweet yet richly savory. A definite keeper recipe ~ DH enjoyed it very much too. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2010!