Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from My Bread by Jim Lahey (of the No-Knead Bread fame) as posted by Caroline Russock at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/cB6lKZ
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 115 g semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped (4 ounces)
- 202 g granulated sugar (1 cup plus 1 tbsp)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 40 g fine dry homemade breadcrumbs (1/4 cup)
- 1 pinch table salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Melt the butter. Combine chopped chocolate with 2/3 cup plus 1 tbsp of sugar then add hot melted butter. Stir a few times, then let stand 3-4 minutes to melt chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- Beat egg yolks in a large bowl, then slowly whisk in chocolate mixture, then add breadcrumbs. Stir until well-combined.
- Beat egg whites and salt, either in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, or with a hand-held electric mixer, at medium speed. When foamy, reduce speed to low and gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Increase speed back to medium and whip until stiff, shiny peaks form; do not overwhip. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture in three or four equal portions.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Fill each liner about 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven until puffed and just set in the center, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a rack until completely cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.