Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A different twist to regular tacos.
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pint tomato juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- shredded cheese (for topping)
- Combine beans, water, garlic, tomato juice, and salt in a slow cooker.
- Cover, cook on high for 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When beans become soft, drain off some liquid.
- While the beans cook,brown bacon in a skillet, drain, and reserve drippings.
- Crumble bacon, and add 1/2 of the bacon and 3 tablespoons of the bacon drippings to beans and stir.
- When done,Take bean mixture out and place in a bowl, and mash them.
- Then fry the mashed bean mixture in the remaining bacon drippings, add more salt to taste if needed.
- To serve, sprinkle the remaining bacon and shredded cheese on top of beans.
The only place that mentions tortillas is the title! But if you spread this on a tortilla and added cheese and toppings, you'd have a great tostada. We served it two ways: as a dip by itself and as an ingredient in a layered bean dip we like to make. It was great both ways. Made for PRMR.