Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a dish that is served at Las Bellas Artes, a Mexican restaurant in Elmhurst, Illinois. You can add shredded, cooked chicken or garnish with rings of white onion if you wish.
- 16 tomatillos, husked,washed,quartered
- 3 jalapenos, seeded,chopped
- 1 quart water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas, 6 inches in diameter,cut into eighths
- 2 cups chihuahua cheese, shredded ((can substitute Monterey jack cheese))
- sour cream
- Place tomatillos, jalapenos and water in a saucepan; cook over medium heat 10 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon to blender container.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cooking water; puree.
- Season with salt.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Heat 2 T of the oil in a large skillet; add some of the tortillas.
- Fry until crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining oil and tortillas.
- Place half the fried tortillas in a greased 8-inch square baking dish; sprinkle half of the cheese over the tortillas, add enough sauce to moisten.
- Add another layer of tortillas; moisten with sauce.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until hot throughout and the sauce has reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Top with dollops of sour cream.