Recipe by ZeldaFan
My late grandma's tortillas. Delicious as a stand alone snack or Mexican side
Top Review by Ravyn_Silverwing
OMG!!!! I think that I have bought my last package of premade tortillas ever!!! My husband loved these and so did the kids. Remember to roll them until you think that they are too thin, then they are ready to grill. I kneaded mine for about 8 minutes for anyone wanting an approximate time on kneading. I used the baking sticks by crisco and it turned out beautifully. Thanks so much for this, I am looking forward to making the next batch and buying a tortilla press to make rolling them so much easier!!!
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening or 3 tablespoons lard
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 cup water (lukewarm)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, shortening, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Gradually stir in water until crumbly dough forms.
- Work with hands until dough holds together.
- on a floured board, shape into a ball and knead until smooth.
- Divide dough into 12 roughly equal parts.
- roll into sphere and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten into 8 inch circles.
- Cook on ungreased griddle on medium heat, to cook, when it starts to bubble, flip it over, when it starts to bubble, pat it down with a clean towel or spatula, when the entire tortilla starts to inflate, take it off the grill.