My late grandma's tortillas. Delicious as a stand alone snack or Mexican side
Make and share this Tortillas De Harina (Flour Tortillas) recipe from Food.com.
- Mix flour, shortening, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Gradually stir in water until crumbly dough forms.
- Work with hands until dough holds together.
- on a floured board, shape into a ball and knead until smooth.
- Divide dough into 12 roughly equal parts.
- roll into sphere and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten into 8 inch circles.
- Cook on ungreased griddle on medium heat, to cook, when it starts to bubble, flip it over, when it starts to bubble, pat it down with a clean towel or spatula, when the entire tortilla starts to inflate, take it off the grill.
OMG!!!! I think that I have bought my last package of premade tortillas ever!!! My husband loved these and so did the kids. Remember to roll them until you think that they are too thin, then they are ready to grill. I kneaded mine for about 8 minutes for anyone wanting an approximate time on kneading. I used the baking sticks by crisco and it turned out beautifully. Thanks so much for this, I am looking forward to making the next batch and buying a tortilla press to make rolling them so much easier!!!
Keeper, keeper!!! Used as is except added 1/2 cup corn meal. Awesome! Thank you!!
The first batch didn't turn out so well because I didn't knead the dough long enough. It seemed smooth so I moved on... Big mistake. For elasticity these need to be kneaded well. (it's all about the gluten...I suppose.) Or else you'll get that "raw flour" flavor some people complain about with homemade tortillas. Good recipe though.