Recipe by Vicki in CT
This smooth soup is big on flavor! Low fat, low carbs, but you would never know it! Can substitute vegetable stock to make it vegetarian.
Top Review by mersaydees
This is the first tortilla soup recipe that I pureed. It really is flavorful and light at the same time. Served with tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream. Thanks, Vicki! Made for Aussie New Zealand Recipe Swap 55, Group 4.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 corn tortillas, quartered
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute tomatoes, onion, tortillas, jalapenos, cilantro in olive oil in heavy pot. Cook until tortillas and tomatoes are soft.
- Add chicken stock and seasonings. Bring to boil and reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pureee soup in small batches using either a blender or imulsion type tool in the pan. Strain.
- Pour back in pan and reheat.
- Serve with crispy tortilla strips, sliced avacado, grated cheese.