Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This smooth soup is big on flavor! Low fat, low carbs, but you would never know it! Can substitute vegetable stock to make it vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 corn tortillas, quartered
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Saute tomatoes, onion, tortillas, jalapenos, cilantro in olive oil in heavy pot. Cook until tortillas and tomatoes are soft.
- Add chicken stock and seasonings. Bring to boil and reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pureee soup in small batches using either a blender or imulsion type tool in the pan. Strain.
- Pour back in pan and reheat.
- Serve with crispy tortilla strips, sliced avacado, grated cheese.
This is the first tortilla soup recipe that I pureed. It really is flavorful and light at the same time. Served with tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream. Thanks, Vicki! Made for Aussie New Zealand Recipe Swap 55, Group 4.
Very tasty! Since there aren't any fresh tomatoes (that I would eat) in March I used low-salt diced tomatoes ( 4 15-oz. cans) and reduced the broth by 2 cups. Worked out fine. This recipe is plenty enough for 4-6 full-sized servings.
A very tasty variation on a tortilla soup! The flavors were great. I garnished with cheese and tortilla chips. Thanks for sharing! Best of 2011 Tag